Saturday, June 21, 2008

Pardon me miss, your brunette is showing

I'm coloring my hair as I write this, or uncoloring...making it blonde! I am not sure when or why I decided to be a blonde, but it was a gradual thing. I dyed it light brown, then lighter brown, then dark blonde, then a little blonder, and now I'm very blonde, not quite platinum, although I was that for a time period as well.

I do get compliments on my hair color, sometime people are surprised when I tell them it's not real. It kind of surprises me that they can't tell. My eyebrows aren't light and sometimes I have some serious roots showing.
It's also cheap, real cheap to do. I buy Revlon Colorsilk and it's about $2.97 a box, even cheaper if they have it on sale or if they have the 'buy two and save' deal going on. Yet, I get compliments and people are surprised I do it myself. Part of the reason it amuses me is because of the people who go to the salon and pay mega bucks to just get highlights. (no insult intended to the folks who do that) I pay as low as $2. I'm cheap, what can I say?
I don't mind telling people it's not natural, in fact I joke about it. If someone compliments me I'll say 'Yeah, I liked it when I saw it on the box too' or 'Nice & Easy 224', kind of a takeoff on the cheesy commercials they had a few years back. I sometimes will say "It's my hair color, I bought it, I own it'
In other words, I'm not trying to fool anyone, I'm a fake blonde. It's okay.
Someone once asked me what my natural hair color was, I told him I didn't remember. I dug out a high school picture to see what it was...looks like brown to me. This is my high school graduation picture. Not sure if it is dyed at all in this picture.



My Mom says I was born with black hair and she was thrilled because she has black hair, which is kind of ironic because her hair isn't natural either. I laugh because my family has a rainbow of hair colors, my sister-in-law and I have blonde, Mom has black, my brother has brown (although with the Mohawk he might start adding other colors), Grandma has red, and Dad has a silvery-gray color.

So, I'm blonde and I'm gonna stay that way, maybe forever! I'll be one of those little sweet old ladies with bright blonde hair. Well, I don't know about sweet, but you know what I mean.

And by the way...blondes do have more fun Free Smileys & Emoticons at Clipart of.com

No comments: